[SunHELP] Solaris 10 and your thoughts..

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Tue Jun 14 14:45:33 CDT 2005

sun supplies support for 9-10 years.

solaris 11 will out in 1.5 years.

sun rewrote solaris' tcp/ip stacke.

(to get ready for open_solaris?)

networking is faster (and a selling point).

Scott Walker wrote:
> I'm looking for some honest opinions on solaris 10.
>
> My Ultra10 which I was running Debian linux root disk finally died
> (uptime of close to 3 years).
>
> So it's time to reinstall (gonna do a raid 1 this time).
>
> Here is my problem, Use linux, which is fast, up to date.
>
> Or go with solaris 10 (or even 9).
>
> My concerns with Solaris 9 (and sort of with 10). In 2 years, 3 years,
> am I going to be up a creek without patches? Say, I put 10 on, and
> suddenly 11 comes out. Easy migration to 11? Or reinstall? Under debian
> it's apt-get -u dist-upgrade wait for 30 mins, and i'm done.
>
> How is the performance on 10? I remember when I moved from solaris 9 to
> linux the box felt a ton faster.
>
> This server sits in my cloest, and does internal dns/dhcp/monitoring of
> my home lan, as well as my external colo lan, it's a file server, and my
> jump host.
>
> Sol 10 overkill?
>
> I guess i'm just at a crossroads and looking for some input from people
> who's run solaris 10, or just flat out have some comments :)
>
> Stats are as follows:
>
> Ultra 10 Creator
> 440Mhz CPU
> 256M of ram
> 2x 36G Ultra2 SCSI Drives
> 1x 50G Ultra2 SCSI Drives
> 1x 16GB DAT Backup drive
>
> As for sticking 3 decent sized SCSI drives into an ultra 10, I can say
> it ain't pretty, but it works (I have one in colo same config, been up
> for 2 years now [runs linux]).
>
> And more of a personal question, why would you choose solaris over
> linux? Why linux over solaris?

This message originates from Jewelry Television (TM) . The message and any
file transmitted with it is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is
intended only for the addressee named above. Any disclosure, distribution,
copying or use of the information by anyone other than the intended recipient,
regardless of address or routing, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete
the original message. Personal messages express views solely of the sender and
are not attributable to Jewelry Television (TM).