[SunHELP] Solaris 10 and your thoughts..

Scott Walker crimson at unspeakable.org
Tue Jun 14 14:32:07 CDT 2005

I'm looking for some honest opinions on solaris 10.

My Ultra10 which I was running Debian linux root disk finally died
(uptime of close to 3 years).

So it's time to reinstall (gonna do a raid 1 this time).

Here is my problem, Use linux, which is fast, up to date.

Or go with solaris 10 (or even 9).

My concerns with Solaris 9 (and sort of with 10). In 2 years, 3 years,
am I going to be up a creek without patches? Say, I put 10 on, and
suddenly 11 comes out. Easy migration to 11? Or reinstall? Under debian
it's apt-get -u dist-upgrade wait for 30 mins, and i'm done.

How is the performance on 10? I remember when I moved from solaris 9 to
linux the box felt a ton faster.

This server sits in my cloest, and does internal dns/dhcp/monitoring of
my home lan, as well as my external colo lan, it's a file server, and my
jump host.

Sol 10 overkill?

I guess i'm just at a crossroads and looking for some input from people
who's run solaris 10, or just flat out have some comments :)

Stats are as follows:

Ultra 10 Creator
440Mhz CPU
256M of ram
2x 36G Ultra2 SCSI Drives
1x 50G Ultra2 SCSI Drives
1x 16GB DAT Backup drive

As for sticking 3 decent sized SCSI drives into an ultra 10, I can say
it ain't pretty, but it works (I have one in colo same config, been up
for 2 years now [runs linux]).

And more of a personal question, why would you choose solaris over
linux? Why linux over solaris?

--
EM: crimson at unspeakable.org WWW: http://www.unspeakable.org

-0)