[SunHELP] Mozilla / Firefox on Solaris

Tige D. Chastain tdchastain at insightbb.com
Mon Jan 17 23:28:18 CST 2005

I just did a rollout to 250+ SunRays of Firefox.

Read the info on sunfreeware.com and you will find the firefox and
mozilla there was contributed by internal Sun developers.  So it is safe
to assume it was compiled and optimized with Forte.  However, I did not
look to find what version of GTK it was compiled it.  I'm willing to bet
it was compiled with what comes with Solaris 9.  Run ldd against the
binary and find out what it needs to run - that will give you a good
idea.

The target environment I deployed has 3 v240 (dual) boxes running
Solaris 9 with 1 NIS master and two slaves.  The only slowdown I noticed
was due to network, not graphics rendering.  I integrated the browser
into CDE to replace Netscape as the default browser launcher - thus I
know the GNOME integration is MUCH easier.

What is the CPU/Memory config of your 280Rs?  20 SunRays isn't that much
of a load on the servers for SunRays.  What is the nature of
applications that will be running on them?  Are you providing a
locked-down desktop environment or allowing full open GNOME on Solaris
for the clients?  Also, are these running automount maps with NIS/NFS?
If you provide more info on the configuration, it would b easier to
estimate if you should have a problem with speed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Tige Chastain