[SunHELP] Mozilla / Firefox on Solaris

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Jan 17 20:31:28 CST 2005

" From: "bigblock judge" <bigblockjudge at hotmail.com>
"
" What is the "best" way to go about deploying Mozilla and/or Firefox on a
" SunFire 280R running Solaris 9 that will be serving about 20 SunRay
" terminals via SRSS 3.0?
"
" We currently are using the horrible Netscape 4.78 that ships with Solaris.
" Also being tested on the same machine is the Sun-contributed, Forte-compiled
" Mozilla 1.7.5 from mozilla.org. It is apparently using the GTK1 libraries
" that were installed along with Solaris and GNOME when we installed Solaris
" 9. It works OK, but it could be a little faster. I have not yet been able to
" locate a Forte-compiled Firefox for Solaris that uses GTK1. I have tried to
" compile it myself, but there are so many dependencies and I don't have that
" much time to spare. Also, I am not certain if the builds on sunfreeware.com
" were generated with Forte. Something compiled with Forte and optimized for
" Solaris 9 and UltraSPARC 3 would be awesome if I could find such a binary.
"
" What do you suggest for Mozilla and/or Firefox on our system? I would like
" to stick with something that uses GTK1 as it has been my experience that
" GTK2/Pango applications comsume more RAM and CPU than those that use GTK1.

s8 here.

i downloaded firefox from mozilla.org.

perusing the launch script, i observed that firefox assumes by
default that it's installed in /usr/local/lib/firefox-<version> so
that's where i put it, and linked the script into /usr/local/bin.
dunno if it needs gtk1 or not; it's never complained.

mozilla likes to install the same way.  makes it easy to upgrade
versions too.

i avoided having to set any envvars or paths by doing this, having
/usr/local/bin already in my path.  mozilla needed LD_LIBRARY_PATH
though; dunno why as they say they used the companion disk libs in
/opt/sfw/...