[SunHELP] Lazy lady....

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Wed Sep 1 12:07:55 CDT 2004

On Sep 1, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Fernando Machado Jr. wrote:

> I'll try.... ;)
>
> we have a software running in our solaris for comparing gene sequences
> in databases, called blast. We did an analysis here yesterday and it
> took 20 minutes more than a desktop that we have running linux here.

Is your comparison software multithreaded, ergo, able to run multiple
comparisons simultaneously?

I would say that one new Pentium 4 CPU can outrun a 1Ghz UltraSPARC 3,
but since you're using a V880 with 4 CPUs, that should definitely run
your app faster... IF is it multithreaded well.

The big thing about Suns is not necessarily their CPU speed, but their
IO capacity.

/dale