[SunHELP] FSCK problem, U30, Solaris 9

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Oct 1 07:54:36 CDT 2004

Hey folks,
I just applied the latest Solaris 9 alert and recommended patch clusters
to an U30 running Solaris 9 4/03.  This appears to have caused two
problems:  First, one of the patches added mpt to /etc/driver_aliases
and /etc/driver_classes, but not to /etc/name_to_major, giving the
'WARNING: add spec: No major number for mpt' message at boot.

This, I've fixed.

The other problem is more serious.  The machine is unable to fsck
/dev/md/dsk/d10, which is a two-way mirror mounted as / on this box.
All the other metadevices can be fsck'd, and /dev/md/dsk/d10 can be
booted from, mounted read-only, etc, etc.  However, attempting to fsck
it produces the following:

# fsck -F ufs /dev/md/rdsk/d10
** /dev/md/rdsk/d10
fsck: ioctl _FIOGETSUPERBLOCK error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I can fsck both of the submirrors fine, and they come up clean.  I've
broken the mirror and alternately re-newfs'd and duplicated both
mirrors, so I know the filesystems themselves should be good.  They fsck
cleanly.  Currently, what's happening is that mount insists the primary
and alternate boot filesystems (the former submirrors) are not ufs.  I
cannot get either one mounted read-write except by booting from a CD.

The root filesystem, as /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0, can be fsck'd, and mounts
fine read-only, but any attempt to remount it read-write yields:

# mount -F ufs -o rw,remount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
mount: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is not this fstype

I don't know if I've fully successfully gotten the system to stop trying
to boot from the metadevice (/dev/md/dsk/d10), because I can't get a
booted root filesystem mounted read-write so that I can run metaroot to
properly set the boot.

Any advice on how I can get this problem fixed and get this machine back
in operation?  I've been working on this since about 10pm last night and
I'm making very little progress.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net