[SunHELP] home directories

Gary.Siao at bmo.com Gary.Siao at bmo.com
Tue Nov 30 13:24:03 CST 2004

if you look at the directory permission, there is NO WRITE permission..
This is the reason even root cannot create a directory under /home...

change the directory permission...
#  chmod 755  /home

After you change the permission, try to create a user...

cheers !
Gary Siao
UNIX Systems Analyst
Technology & Solutions - Open Systems Services
BMO Financial Group
T : 416.502.5906   F : 416.502.7038
E : Gary.Siao at bmo.com

                      "Edward Chase"
                      <echase at studentweb.prov         To:      <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
                      idence.edu>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject: [SunHELP] home directories
                      sunhelp-bounces at sunhelp
                      .org

                      30/11/2004 02:17 PM
                      Please respond to The
                      SunHELP List

Hi there,

I'm currently working on setting up a Solaris 9 box.  As I try to useradd
it's complaining to me that it cannot create the user's home directory.

If I do a useradd -D to see the default it's showing the home directory
base
as being /home

However /home looks like

dr-xr-xr-x   1 root     root           1 Nov 30 09:45 home

In the past, I've seen home directories at /export/home

What is the "proper" way to proceed here?  Change the perms on /home so
that
root can create directores or change the default home directory base to
/export/home?  In the linux world it's /home/user.  I'm not really sure
where this /export/home/user thing comes from.

Thanks.

--
Edward Chase
Providence College