[SunHELP] Sendmail or squirrelmail on solaris install advice...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Nov 22 17:00:11 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:43:02PM -0500, Marvin Cummings wrote:
> I'm looking to install one of these apps, preferrably sendmail onto a
> solaris 8 system that will relay to an exchange 2003 server on an
> internal network. Would anyone happen to have a documented setup like
> this around that they'd care to share? Or anyone have any links on on
> this type of solution? Anyone have a preference over the other? This
> will be a first ever install of either of these on solaris so any well
> described processes are welcome.

OK, to start with:

    Sendmail is a mail TRANSFER agent.  it transfers mail between your
    system and other systems.

    Squirrelmail is a web-based mail USER agent.  It allows remote users
    to read their mail on your system using their web browser.

The difference is important, and they are not interchangeable.

Secondly:  By the sound of it, you are very inexperienced with mail
systems.  This being the case, I would not recommend Sendmail.  Proper
setup and configuration of Sendmail is arcane and cryptic, and not for
beginners.  You might have better luck trying Postfix, Exim or Qmail.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net