[SunHELP] can't login to solaris (fatal)

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jun 29 10:06:03 CDT 2004

" From: Lara Adianto <m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com>
"
" I changed /etc/pam.conf to make login authenticate to
" ldap, and I commented out the other auth modules (such
" pas pam_unix)...and as a result, I can't login at all.
" When the machine is rebooted, it doesn't prompt for
" login and straight away say login failed. I've tried
" to telnet and ftp without success. I managed to get
" into the box in single user mode, but I can't change
" the pam.conf, it's a read only file. chmod doesn't
" work either.
"
" what should i do ?

booting off cd is one way.

it sounds like your root fs was mounted read-only in single user mode.
you can fix this with
mount -o remount /
and if pam.conf is still read only,
:w!