[SunHELP] V880 -> serial connection via ethernet cable???

James james at jdfogg.com
Thu Jul 1 07:35:27 CDT 2004

> I need to connect our V880 to a Cisco access server
> via an ethernet cable connection.
> The problem is, that the V880 has only one serial
> port and it's not an RJ-45 one but a 25 pin serial.

You will need to research the pinout of the Cisco device (assume that the
Sun is standard serial pinout). Get DB hoods that allow you to build the
pinout to suit your needs and make a custom adapter. Black Box is one
company that sells the hoods, Radio Shack used to and may still.

You will also need an RS232 primer, use google. Be aware that the Sun and
the Cisco will expect hardware flow control signals so you will need to
build an 8-wire adapter, not a 3-wire.