[SunHELP] linux on V480

James james at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 30 21:48:14 CST 2004

> we try to install redhat cd but server would not boot.
>
> oracle rep told us to use linux for 10x performance boost over
> solaris but have not found the correct linux for sparc procedures yet.
>
> any helps would be very much approved!

I assume you were using a RH distro for 64bit Sparc architecture? I don't
think RH has supported Sparc since version 6 or 7.

And I don't know where you will find a 10X improvement using a modified
32bit OS in place of a full 64bit implementation of Solaris. My former
employer spent a large sum of cash trying to move to a 100% Linux
environment and found that Solaris at any price was worth the money. It was
true for Oracle/Intel and Oracle/Sparc as well as for all our other apps. It
is true that Oracle has tuned its product for Linux in the last two years,
but I don't think Linux/Sparc was part of that effort.