[SunHELP] SS1000 does random? hard lockups during Sol 8 install.

Jon k_m34 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 23:35:08 CST 2004

I've tried a few times to reinstall Sol 8 on my SS1000.  I just got a
Turbo GX and put it in last night, so I decided to reinstall Sol to get
the drivers and put all the  packages it wanted on. (I've got a single
4.5GB drive in it.  Anyone have the main quad drive bracket/rails or a
disk card for an SS1000?)  I thought it might be overheating, so I
checked and cleaned a layer of lint from the intake screen under the
side cover.  I also took out an MBUS module that has some physical
damage.  Still it locks up.  It seemed to be running fine as a headless
machine with just my Wyse 60 on the console with 6 CPUs installed.  For
now even removing the "bad" module seems to have no effect on these
seemingly random lockups.  Of course, now that I've got a borked Sol 8
install I can't really test the system any other way than to keep
trying to install, which keeps failing...

Could the TGX be at fault?  Should I pull all but one module?  I've
tested the 896MB RAM so I'm pretty sure it's not a RAM issue.  Could
the SCSI drive cuase these troubles?  Is there something I'm missing?
The SS1000 is my first real SMP iron, me being a young poor Comp. Sci.
student, so I'm kinda at a bit of a loss as to what to trouble shoot
when all 6 CPUs do a hard lockup and *nothing* works except a turn of
the keyswitch. :(

=====
-

Jon.