[SunHELP] Solaris as firewall for windows network

Predrag Zecevic Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Thu Feb 12 01:58:32 CST 2004

Hi,

it is not metter of HW, but Solaris kernel: it is design advantage.
Regards ;-)

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Javier O. Augusto wrote:
>

>> IMHO, its useless to setup a machine like an U10 only for a firewall.
>> Why not a freebsd or a linux firewall instead?
>>

> Speaking from experience, the hardware of most PCs can't keep up with
> the abuse that can be tossed at a firewall.  My experience sending
> aggressive nmap scans through a 1.3Ghz celeron running OpenBSD, is
> that the system simply falls down.  A 140Mhz Ultra-1 running OpenBSD,
> on the other hand, performs flawlessly.
>
> Not to start *that* particular holy war, but my experience guides my
> actions in this regard.
>
> --
> Kurt Huhn
> kurt at k-huhn.com

| Predrag Zecevic | e-Mail: Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-Systems.COM |
| 2e Systems GmbH |              Tel: (+49)[0]6107 989 415 |
|Im Taubengrund 12|              Fax: (+49)[0]6107 989 494 |
|65451 Kelsterbach|                                        |
|     Germany     |         Cellular: (+49)[0]174 3109 288 |