[SunHELP] Solaris as firewall for windows network

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Feb 11 11:21:42 CST 2004

On Feb 11, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Javier O. Augusto wrote:

> IMHO, its useless to setup a machine like an U10 only for a firewall.
> Why not a freebsd or a linux firewall instead?

Speaking from experience, the hardware of most PCs can't keep up with
the abuse that can be tossed at a firewall.  My experience sending
aggressive nmap scans through a 1.3Ghz celeron running OpenBSD, is that
the system simply falls down.  A 140Mhz Ultra-1 running OpenBSD, on the
other hand, performs flawlessly.

Not to start *that* particular holy war, but my experience guides my
actions in this regard.

--
Kurt Huhn
kurt at k-huhn.com