[SunHELP] local copying with regard to symlinks and speed

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Oct 25 20:10:02 CDT 2003

"From: "Markham, Richard" <RLMarkham at hafeleamericas.com>
"
"I'd like anyone's opinion on local copying of large amounts of files from
"one directory to another, same owner. cp doesn't cut it since it will copy
"the file that a link points to as opposed to the link itself. I currently
"use: cd <directory>; tar cpf - . | ( cd /newdir && tar xpf - ).  This
"handles the links find, but I'm curious if I can acheive faster results
"using another method.
"Maybe gtar is an option?

find | cpio is probably your best bet.

i've found that ufsdump | ufsrestore is absolutely the fastest, and
-will- do just a subdir of a slice, but it also copies the files with
the entire path from the slice root which requires a little surgery
on the copy to fix.