[SunHELP] Partially-Sun NIS problem

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Oct 25 17:02:02 CDT 2003

I have a puzzle.

I have a NIS setup with a Linux box (babylon5) as master server, and two
slaves, llioness (aanother Linux box) and minbar (a U30 running Solaris
9).  babylon5 is apparently perfectly happy to let minbar be a client,
but things get odd when I run ypinit -s babylon5 on minbar:

Transferring publickey.byname...
ypxfr: couldnot get babylon5.babcom.com address
(info) babylon5.babcom.com $DOMAIN publickey.byname ypxfrd getdbm failed
(reason = -1) -- using ypxfr

Yet it appears the data does, in fact, get transferred.

Any ideas, anyone?

(Yes, $DOMAIN is obfuscated, not literal.)