[SunHELP] Message system fails to start

sentinel sentinel at xmission.com
Tue May 27 09:32:46 CDT 2003

I'm rather inexperienced with tooltalk however I've learned a great deal
over the last few days :-)

My problem started when a developer mentioned he tried logging into the
console of our SunBlade 100 running Solaris 8.  Apparently nobody can login
through the console at this point (though it has been working for months).
After logging in we usually wait around 15 or 20 minutes before the console
comes back with our CDE environment.

Usually we receive a message stating the messaging service could not be
started and to check for a name problem in /etc/src.sh, /etc/hosts or in
/usr/adm/inetd.sec.  I've check all three and found no problems with any of
them.   Actually /etc/src.sh doesn't exist on the system in question.
Neither does /usr/adm/inetd.sec.

I searched through the sunhelp articles and thought it was a problem with
the tooltalk database.  I found instructions in a reply email instructing
step by step how to clear out the database which basically required killing
(not HUPing) inetd, clearing out all TT_DB directories and restarting inetd
(simplified version of the instructions).

I've even ran dtlogin with stop/start and still have the same problems.

Any thoughts on this?  Am I going on the wrong track?

Thx.