[SunHELP] Sending Mail without sendmailD

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Thu May 8 11:01:31 CDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 08:34:30AM -0600, Cinense, Mark wrote:
> Oops... did I mention that I did not want to run the sendmail daemon.  I
> want my machine to just send out mail locally, not as a relay.  On Solaris
> 8, I was able to send out email from the machine using the mail command.  On
> Solaris 9, it does not do this anymore.

In sendmail parlance, "locally" means it stays on the machine, "relay"
means it goes from machine a to machine b to machine c.

What is it you actually want to do and what do you mean by "locally"?

> BTW on Solaris 8 S88sendmail is not running, on Solaris 9 I do the same
> thing.  Solaris 8 can send out mail to our smtp server, on Solaris 9 I can
> not, but there is not any indication from what I can tell.

I would hope S88sendmail is not running since it's a link to
/etc/init.d/sendmail which is a script to start /usr/lib/sendmail running.

<big snip>

> I was wondering if there was anyone out there in sunland, that was sending
> mail from their Solaris 9 OS, without running the sendmail daemon.  I have
> searched google, and I have checked my sendmail.cf file, and it still does
> not work.  I have Solaris 8 on a another machine, and the sendmail.cf files
> look the same.

If you want to send mail off the machine to another, you HAVE to run
sendmail (or another program that does the same thing).

In Solaris 9, Sun went to sendmail 8.12 which is quite different from
the version on Solaris 8.

To over simplify...

In the old version, one sendmail process handled both receiving outside
mail and sending local mail to the outside.

In 8.12, 2 separate prcocesses run; one for incoming, one for outgoing,
sorta.

For details, go to www.sendmail.org and RTFM.

> Btw, I have also modified subsidiary.cf to reflect the same values as
> sendmail.cf.  Can someone help me?

The subsidiary.cf file is an example of how to configure sendmail.cf
to run as a subsidiary; sendmail does not look at this file.

The current sendmail looks at sendmail.cf and submit.cf, older sendmail
only used sendmail.cf.

BTW, as of Solaris 9, the way to modify the .cf files is to
go to /usr/lib/mail/cf and modify the .mc files, which are a lot
easier to understand than the .cf files.

Now, all that being said, I'll make the assumption that you want your
machine to send all its mail to another machine in your domain.

Go to /usr/lib/mail/cf. Copy subsidiary.mc to subsidiary.mc.original so
you can recover from screw ups.

Edit subsidiary.mc and change define(`SMART_HOST', `mailhost$?m.$m$.')
to define(`SMART_HOST', `host-you-want-mail-to-go-to').

Rebuild the subsidiary.cf; Make subsidiary.cf. copy subsidiary.cf to
/etc/mail/subsidiary.cf. (Re)Start sendmail.

All mail will now go to to host-you-want-mail-to-go-to.

Look at /usr/lib/mail/README for other options you can put in the .mc
file.

> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Now, if what you really wanted to do is not allow outside mail into
the machine, nor send mail to any other machine, the answer is different.

--
Jim Pennino