[SunHELP] Problem: SDS 4.2.1, IDE-Disks

Michael Karl mk at lexcom-net.de
Thu Mar 27 14:44:23 CST 2003

Hey,

first of all I have to tell you, that I'm thinking I've made a big mistake.

Last year I had installed a mirrored Solaris 8 (root, usr ...) on an UE10
with two IDE-drives in my home-office. The problem is that both IDE-drives
are on the same IDE-controller.

This was my first use of IDE-disks in a Sun. So I'd installed SDS 4.2.1
like using SCSI-disks. I haven't paid any attention to that I'll get
problems with regard to the master/slave-IDE-option.

Now the master-drive died last night and blocks the IDE-channel during
booting from the mirror(slave) ... and without master-drive there is no
slave ... :-(

If I boot from cdrom, I could test (format/analyse/test) the slave-drive
successfully. Testing the master-drive stop during some minutes.

Tomorrow I'll get two new and bigger IDE-disks.

What is the best way to recover this system ?

Should I make now a filesystemcheck after booting from cdrom ?

All filesystems (without /root) are logged mit the SDS-TransMeta-
DeviceLogging-Option ... may be no data are lost ?!?!

At this time my backup is this mirror, because I've loaned my DLT8000
to a customer since early January this year.

I'm having the following plan.
1. Install the new bigger IDE-drive as master on the primary controller.
2. Boot from cdrom, format the new drive and dump (ufsdump and ufsrestore)
all nessary filesystems from the old mirror slave to the new master.
3. Make "installboot" from cdrom to the new master.
4. Deinstall the old mirror.
5. Boot the new master in single-user-mode.
6. Clear unused (not available from mirror) replicas.
7. Metadetach the mirror-devices.
8. Normal boot ... should this way work ???

Afterwards I'll set the second new drive as master on the
secondary IDE-controller and recreate the mirrors.

The last question: now I'm using 80gb IBMs ... it worked till last without
any problems ... are there any known problems with 180gb IBMs in UE10 ?

Thank you in advance for any hints
(docs.sun.com ... doesn't help me ...)

Kindly regards

Michael