[SunHELP] bash for root

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Mon Mar 24 22:26:36 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:51:30PM -0500, Bob Ababurko wrote:
> Is is alright for root to use bash.  IF so, would I use /bin/bash?  I am
> mostly interested in the command finishing <tab> feature so what would my
> alternative be?
>
> thanks

Oh gawd, this debate goes on forever.

A groups.google.com search on "alternative shell root" shows 13,300 hits.

The absolutely safe answer is, if you insist on using a shell other than
your system's default as root, type "shell-name" as soon as you log in
and leave the system files alone. OK, so you have to type "exit" twice
to log out but you are guaranteed nothing will break this way.

If you use this technique, use whatever shell you like.

The other common answer is you shouldn't be mucking around logged in as
root in the first place.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=alternative%20shell%20root&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&lr=&hl=en

(All one line) if you want to spend a lot of time seeing what others have
said.

--
Jim Pennino