[SunHELP] Samba / libgcc help

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Sun Mar 23 15:06:41 CST 2003

I've been studiously avoiding asking newb questions here, despite a growing
frustration trying to get Solaris working for me. I realize that when I ask
questions here, I'm saving myself time by asking you to spend your time.

On the other hand, sometimes a hint that takes a few seconds can save hours
or days of frustration. That's what I'm hoping for now.

After a bit of searching, I found the packages I needed to run Samba under
Solaris 9; but after having installed libgcc 3.2.2, I find that I still get
an error.

- - - - -
libgcc
(sparc) 3.2.2
Free Software Foundation
Using </usr/local> as the package base directory.
## Processing package information.
## Processing system information.
## Verifying disk space requirements.
## Checking for conflicts with packages already installed.
## Checking for setuid/setgid programs.

Installing libgcc as <SMClibgcc>

## Installing part 1 of 1.
/usr/local/libgcc_s.so <symbolic link>
/usr/local/libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/local/libstdc++.a
/usr/local/libstdc++.la
/usr/local/libstdc++.so <symbolic link>
/usr/local/libstdc++.so.5 <symbolic link>
/usr/local/libstdc++.so.5.0.2
/usr/local/sparcv9/libgcc_s.so.1
/usr/local/sparcv9/libgcc_s_sparcv9.so <symbolic link>
/usr/local/sparcv9/libstdc++.a
/usr/local/sparcv9/libstdc++.la
/usr/local/sparcv9/libstdc++.so <symbolic link>
/usr/local/sparcv9/libstdc++.so.5 <symbolic link>
/usr/local/sparcv9/libstdc++.so.5.0.2
[ verifying class <none> ]

Installation of <SMClibgcc> was successful.
bash-2.05# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient
ld.so.1: /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed:
No such file or directory
Killed
- - - - - -

It SAYS it installed libgcc_s.so.1, I can see it in the /usr/local
directory, but obviously it's not working. I even tried rebooting, which I
know is a Windows trick, but I figured it was worth a shot.

So, this dumb Windows user would like to know if anybody has a hint, before
he starts pulling out what little is left of his hair. Because I already
know that "No such file or directory" means there's no such file or
directory, so the Sun documentation seems unlikely to help me further, and
I also know that the missing file is supposed to be in libgcc 3.2.2, but
it's apparently not working.

I'm fresh out of clues, and have no idea where to start looking for them.

BTW, Samba is mostly working at this point, as well as SWAT. I'm now able
to access my Sun drives from my Windows box, though I have to start smnd
and nmnd manually, and I haven't figured out how to use my Windows printer
from the Sun box yet. But I've got connectivity one way, at least, and the
Sun box is getting user passwords from the Windows box. Huzzah!

---
Why experiment on animals with so many lawyers available?