[SunHELP] can't login - circular behavior

Fri Mar 14 07:00:46 CST 2003

Try removing .Xauthority and the .dt directory.

Dennis Lund

-----Original Message-----
From: Arthur Wouk [mailto:awouk at ra.nilenet.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:50 PM
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] can't login - circular behavior

:i have run my home sparcs as root for years. i know this is bad, but i
:am not connected to the internet and i can live with my random
:blunders. however, i decided to get out of this bad habit by
:establishing a separate non-su identity fpr myself. i used admintool.
:then i fixed up my local environment to match my previous one as su.
:i am using cde.
:
:i did that yesterday, and this morning i find that no matter what i do
:when i login under this identity, i a quickly resent to the login
:page. if i try the failsafe login option, i get an openwindows
:environment. i can't get to cde.
:
:any clues?

one suggestion i received by mail was to remove .dt and let the whole
setup be regenerated. that failed, but, by removing the account and
restarting from scratch, everything is now ok.
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org