[SunHELP] [Q] need SUN server benchmark information compare to other systems?

Ben Ricker bricker at wellinx.com
Thu Mar 13 10:38:47 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 10:08, Jim Pennino wrote:

> I think it's safe to say that a Sun Fire 15K with 106 1.2 GHz processors
> and half a terabyte of memory will outperform a NT or Linux system...

Ummm, there is a slight disanalogy here. Certainly there is no
individual Linux (I will leave aside NT since I have no experties there)
solution. However, there is Linux clustering which will build a
comparable throughput of a SunFire 15k with WAY better redundancy and a
cheap, linear scalability. For the approx. 1 *MILLION* dollars for a Sun
15k, you could buy approx 800 Linux servers for a cluster.

Additionally, Oracle recently announced that they are beefing up support
fro Linux. See
http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/oracle9i/index.html?oracle_linux.html
for more information.

> The point here is that neither NT nor Linux really have a high end growth
> path, while if you outgrow your current Sun machine you just get a "bigger"
> one and keep all your existing software and applications.

Again, you seem wholly lacking in knowledge about the Linux platform and
clustering. The high end growth path is *infinite* with clustering.
Thrown in blade technology and you can ameliorate space constraints.

> If your needs are such that you would never outgrow the capabilities of
> a NT or Linux box, there are still other conciderations such as ease of
> administration, system stability (can you say blue screen of death?),
> security, availablity of support for both the hardware and software, etc.

See the link above: ORacle fully supports ORacle on Redhat. The Linux
cluster will be vastly cheaper then the SunFire 15k (or any comparable
Sun hardware). There are no BSODs and Redhat has great support. The
security is BETTER on Redhat, if you ask me; I have installed both
platforms. Sun turns on every service known to mankind while Linux takes
a much better security stance. Throw in the code auditing capabilities
of Open Source software, and you have an unbeatable combination (see
Sun's latest foray into Intel based servers).

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com
--
Ben Ricker <bricker at wellinx.com>