[SunHELP] [Q] need SUN server benchmark information compare to other systems?

Jim Pennino jimp at specsol.com
Thu Mar 13 10:08:28 CST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 09:31:04AM -0500, L wrote:
> We are study on our next ORACLE servers.  Before we can commit the
> management that SUN/ORACLE server is the best choice, I need get some
> benchmarks info to compare SUN with other systems (NT, LINUX, ..).  Does
> anyone have information like that?  If you have Benchmark info. include
> SUN/ORACLE compare with other systems, it will even better.
>
> Thanks.

I think it's safe to say that a Sun Fire 15K with 106 1.2 GHz processors
and half a terabyte of memory will outperform a NT or Linux system...

I also think it's safe to say that a NT or Linux system will outperform
a Sun Fire V100 with a single 550 MHz processor and 256 megabytes of
memory.

The point here is that neither NT nor Linux really have a high end growth
path, while if you outgrow your current Sun machine you just get a "bigger"
one and keep all your existing software and applications.

If your needs are such that you would never outgrow the capabilities of
a NT or Linux box, there are still other conciderations such as ease of
administration, system stability (can you say blue screen of death?),
security, availablity of support for both the hardware and software, etc.

--
Jim Pennino