[SunHELP] Ultra down

Tim Longo tlongo at avaya.com
Fri Mar 7 04:36:59 CST 2003

We have an old (~5 years) ultrasparc
 that was moved the other day and now won't boot. It was running sweet as
 a nut for years before then, now it flashes the banner, checks memory,
 writes out "boot device: disk,  file and args:' and hangs. I can login with
 the firmware password and run commands there, but none of them seem to be
 able to tell me what bit of hardware has broken. I ran 'test-all' and it
 came back with several failures but 'probe-scsi' sees the hard disk fine.
 So I was wondering what step of the boot process has failed - bootblk or
 ufsboot? I'm inclined to the former simply because I would expect to see
 a boot path printed out on the console if it worked, but docs.sun doesn't
 go into this much detail (curse them!). Any ideas?