[SunHELP] 8MB VSIMM Problem

Gereon 'Jerry' Stein gs at de.uu.net
Tue Feb 25 02:31:39 CST 2003

Martin Marshall wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I received a 501-2482 8 MB VSIMM for my SS20.  I removed the TGX
> framebuffer and installed the VSIMM.  On booting the box, I get a bunch
> of thin black faint vertical lines over the boot screen and when CDE
> starts, the lines become white.  The display is still visible, just has
> lines over it.  Is this a failure mode of the VSIMM or am I missing
> something?

Hi Martin,

sounds like a failure of the VSIMM to me. I have the similar effect on a
Creator2D UPA card. From my faint remembrance on electronics, I'd guess
this is a broken address line somewhere on the card (or VSIMM, which
basically contains most of the cg14's logic); best case could be it's
just a slightly dirty (dusty) VSIMM socket.

You may try removing the VSIMM, cleaning the socket and contacts
carefully and reinserting the VSIMM. If that doesn't help, I'm afraid
you got a broken part.

The 501-2482 is definitely the part you need (there's another type with
slower DRAM spec, which supposedly will fail in an SS20, but I used to
have a 2482 myself which worked perfectly fine)

Regards,

Jerry