[SunHELP] OT tunning network

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 13:09:28 CST 2003

--- faisal gillani <fasi_74 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well sorry for this Ot Question
>
> i have a 100mbps network
> utp cable 10/100 mbps switch hub
> 60 clients consisting of Linux , Windows & solaris O/S
> Dns is used for name resolution
> there is a local webserver "Apache" running on my
> network which provides large media files to clients as
> downloads...
> the problem that when clients downloads the download
> speed they get is ranging from 400kbps to 1.5 mbps ..
> both in rush hour & off hours .
> so i wanted to know is that normal ? if not then wat
> can be the problem & how can i fix it ?
>
> thankx for reading

That is a very large "collision domain" - when one machine is sending
info on the network, all others must wait.

Having 60 clients on one switch does not mean you can have 30
simultaneous links without any collisions - the throughput on the
switch will be the limiting factor.

Breaking the network down into a handful of switches organized in a
meaningful way should help greatly...

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com