[SunHELP] Trying to restore files from VX Dump.. what am I doing wrong?

Joe Pampel Joe at ardsley.com
Fri Feb 7 09:28:35 CST 2003

Hi -

We use a combination of UFS and VX dump to backup our E3500. I have
restored files from the UFS dump part of the job before but never
the vx part. I took notes, but I have a glitch somewhere in them bc
while I am pretty confident the backup job is fine, when I try to
restore
from the vxdump part of the tape I get errors like..

M5# mt -f /dev/rmt/1 rewind
M5# vxrestore -vx /dev/rmt/1 /ardsley
Verify tape and initialize maps
UX:vxfs vxrestore: ERROR: /dev/rmt/0m: I/O error

The partition on the tape I'm trying to get into is called /ardsley

I'm not that solid on my nix exactly, and am pretty new to Veritas..
but it appears to be looking at the wrong device even though I specified
dev/rmt/1 in
the command line (which is our DLT).  The are 4 UFS dumps which appear
first on the tape, and then the vxdump is the last part of the
job if it helps.  Not sure what to do next.. busy doing the STFW bit
have not found the missing bit yet. manpages are not working
and Veritas manual is very, well, light on detail.

Any clues?

Thanks for any pointers you may have - Joe