[SunHELP] script to change passwd field of /etc/shadow file

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Dec 21 17:35:26 CST 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 03:25:08PM -0800, hike1272-sunhelp at yahoo.com wrote:
> gee, this sounds like a homework assignment!
>
> don't you think you should do your own homework?
>

> man sort
> man awk
> man sed

Actually, I'd use perl.  Though if your list is by UID, why do you need
usernames from /etc/passwd at all?  Can't you do it all in /etc/shadow?
Just build a hash of every line in /etc/shadow keyed by UID, then go
through your list of UIDs and if $shadow{$UID} is defined, step on the
passwd field.  Then write all the records back in UID order.