[SunHELP] Swapping SPARC II 300Mhz for SPARC II 450Mhz on an Ultra 60???

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Dec 20 01:22:15 CST 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:04:23 -0500
Christoper Smiga wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a Sun Ultra 60 or Ultra 10 Workstation on eBay and
> was wondering if the processors are upgradable. For instance, I'm
> looking at a 300Mhz Ultra 60 and would like to replace it with 450Mhz
> SPARC II. I went to SunSolve and it looks like an easy task. I was
> wondering if anyone has done this before and what was the experience?

Firstly, comparing a U60 and a U10 is a no-contest comparison.  The U60
is clearly a superior system.

Replacing processors on a U60 is *extremely* simple.  Pop the side panel
off, pull out the old processor, snap the new ones in, set the jumpers,
turn on the computer, enjoy.  You may consider doing a "boot -r", but I
don't recall that it's necessary.

--
Kurt                  The superior man understands what is right;
kurt at k-huhn.com       the inferior man understands what will sell.