[SunHELP] Mirroring root disks with SVM on Sol9

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 22 10:51:32 CDT 2003

Re the post below, I had the same thing happen.  I was used to
DiskSuite (iirc, always a question since I have CRS - Can't Remember
Stuff), where one of two boot disks would keep running/boot.  I
found a doc on the Sun Blueprints archive for October 2002
(see http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/ check online archives)
on Configuring Boot Disks with Solaris Volume Manager Software.
Page 10 has a setting for /etc/system which will let the system boot
with one of two mirrors for the root disk in a two-disk system, where
you'd have exactly 50% of the state database replicas available.

The setting is:  set md:mirrored_root_flag=1  (in /etc/system).
YMMV, no guarantees express or implied by me.  There's a caveat about
possible problems with stale replicas, but I don't see any way
around using this setting if you want a 2-disk system to keep
running & be able to reboot, after one of the disks has failed.

I suggest anyone interested in this subject get & read that document.

HTH.

--
David Strom