[SunHELP] alternate booting (disk 1)

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 13 10:38:42 CDT 2003

I've detached a mirror disk which has a bootblock created from Disk 0
(c0t0d0s0) using installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0.  I mounted Disk 1 (c0t1d0s0) and changed /etc/vfstab to
point all slice mounts to point to its own target (1). I created a nvalias
called altboot based on the ls -l output /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 ->
../../devices/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/sd at 1,0:a and nvram show-disks.  At the ok
prompt I ran boot altboot and it indicated it was booting from this device.

The issue is that mount output indicates all mounts are still mounting on
target 0 which appears to me that after booting Disk 1's boot block, it is
still going back to Disk 0 for the remainder of the boot process.  Is this
so?  Have I not considered something with the bootblock?

Sun OS 8
Disksuite 4.2.1