[SunHELP] Testing File Descriptor Limits

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:55:55 CDT 2003

The problem is in 2.6 & 2.7(32Bit) stdio and select system calls:

stdio(3S):
     The integer constant FOPEN_MAX specifies the minimum  number
     of  files  that  the  implementation  guarantees can be open
     simultaneously. Note that no more  than  255  files  may  be
     opened  using  fopen(),  and only file descriptors 0 through
     255 can be used in a stream.

select(3c):
     The default value for FD_SETSIZE (currently 1024) is  larger
     than  the  default limit on the number of open files.  It is
     not possible to increase the size of the  fd_set  data  type
     when used with select().

Ran across this on a Remedy Server a while back. And it doesn't "bark", that
would have been nice, instead remedy just failed with "can't open.." errors.

This is basically fixes in Solaris 8 & 7(64Bit). The limit for the 64bit
kernel on these two parameters is something like 65540. If you need to open
more than 256 files in the 32Bit 2.6 or 2.7 you would need to use
non-streams based call.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator
"When people sigh 'Life is hard', I am always tempted to
ask 'compared to what?'".
               - Sydney Harris