[SunHELP] Swap Memory

Greg gonufer at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 20 14:37:05 CDT 2002

On 10/20/2002 12:38 AM, Frank-Christian Kruegel wrote:
>>It sun recommends to have swap less than my memory??
>
> In case of a kernel panic the system dumps its memory to the swap slice for
> later investigation, and it will be unable to do so with less swap than
> physical memory.

Only kernel memory is dumped by default and that tends to be a small
fraction of all available physical memory.  Modern versions of SunOS also
compress the memory pages written to the swap device which further reduces
the size of the total crash dump.  Even if you use dumpadm to specify that
all memory pages are to be written to crash dumps, you still won't need 1x
physical memory for the swap device in order to obtain a successful crash
dump.  Modern versions of SunOS also allow you to specify a separate crash
dump device so if you really want zero swap you can still obtain crash
dumps.  See dumpadm(1m) for all of the details.

A nice feature: savecore -L.  If there's something wrong with a machine
(eg, hung serial device) but you aren't able to schedule a reboot then you
can take a crash dump "on the fly" if you use a dedicated dump device.  A
kernel developer can then analyze the minor problem while your system
remains operational.

-greg