[SunHELP] Swap Memory

Frank-Christian Kruegel fchk at istda.com
Sun Oct 20 02:38:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:10:18 +0000, you wrote:

>I have planned to install Soalris 8 Production box with  8 gb internal
>drives and 2048mb ram. Is that i need to allocate 4 gb (2* ram) of swap
>space ?? Because i need my /usr /opt /var directory needs atleast 4, 1 gb
>each.

The old SunOS4 rule that you MUST have swap >2*RAM (otherwise some physical
memory stays unused) isn't valid with SunOS5 any more. You have to check your
memory requirements.

>It sun recommends to have swap less than my memory??

In case of a kernel panic the system dumps its memory to the swap slice for
later investigation, and it will be unable to do so with less swap than
physical
memory.

Mit freundlichen Gr|_en

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr|gel