[SunHELP] boot prom ugrade help

Chris Pinnock cjep at fawlty.net
Sat Oct 12 13:33:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:48:19AM -0400, Brian Hinz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently picked up a low-cost ultra30 but so far have been unable to
> get it to boot. I comes up to the Openboot (ok) prompt just fine but
> attempts to 'boot cdrom' cause the machine to hang. I've tried several
> different cdroms, internal and exteranal. probe-scsi detects the cdrom. I
> noticed that the openboot version is declared as 3.9 but the latest version
> according to sunsolve is 3.27... so if someone did flash it with the wrong
> version, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can correct this? do i
> need a new nvram? so far my efforts to set up an install server don't work
> either, it just connects and the prints out "4200" and hangs...

Could be that the hardware is stuffed. Has it booted from disc
successfully? You could try checking the connections to the CD-ROM
drive. A "test-all" at the ok prompt might reveal more.

You can upgrade the version of OpenBoot by downloading the relevant
patch from SunSolve:

http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?patchid=105930&collection=fpatches&mode=results

but you'll need to get this onto media that you can boot.

best wishes,
Chris