[SunHELP] (no subject)

Mon Nov 4 23:18:03 CST 2002

A great deal of hardware is hot-swappable on Sun hardware, disks on the E4x0
series for example.

The E3500, however, only allows disks to be added internally via an internal
disk board (a waste of a valuable system slot) or via external disk packs
and a SCSI cable.  There's no issues to adding external disks hot.

Adding internal disk boards is not mentioned among the highly available
features available on the E3500, however.  You can read that page here:
http://www.sun.com/servers/midrange/e3500/details.html#g2_5 and even then,
the hot-swap "dynamic reconfiguration" options are described as supported on
sol 7 & 8.  I'd recommend adding a new disk board while cold on a v2.6
system.

The newly added external disks can be discovered with a reconfig reboot
(boot -r) or by doing these three commands in sequence while the system is
up:

drvconfig && devlinks && disks

Note that these can take quite a while on some systems and they don't
necessarily work as reliably as a reconfig reboot.

Good luck,
Mark