[SunHELP] Collision Errors

Howard Hurst howard.hurst at UnitedAdvertising.co.uk
Wed May 29 09:46:30 CDT 2002

I get the following output from netstat -ia. I don't really know much about
the netstat command (the man pages don't really explain what the output
means).

I've tidied up the output of the command so hopefully it is easier to read.

# netstat -ia

Name--lo0
Mtu--8232
Net/Dest--loopback
Address--localhost
Ipkts--24548486
Ierrs--0
Opkts--24513147
Oerrs--0
Collis--0
Queue--0

Name--hme0
Mtu--1500
Net/Dest--DomainPool
Address--servername
Ipkts--60720832
Ierrs--102
Opkts--43657651
Oerrs--323629
Collis--428178
Queue--0

This server is a DNS/NIS Master and hosts over half of the companies email
accounts. There are hundreds of PC's running Win95 and NT connecting to this
server and about 40 or so NIS clients.

The NIS clients don't show any collisions when I run this command. Could it
be a network card issue? I'm of the opinion that they either work or not!

I strongly suspect that it is a badly configured router. The default router
used by this server is not used by any other server on the network. But
before I go moaning to the network administrator I'd like some proof to show
him! The only "ammo" I have may or may not be related to this issue -
sometimes the older servers bind to the NIS Slave, rather than the Master.
(If I had a spare server I'd configure it to run with the suspect default
router - unfortunately I can't do that right now.)

Does anyone know of some easy to install software (for Sol 2.6) that may
highlight the problem I am having? Or, alternatively, a site which has a
good explanation of the output of the netstat command?

Cheers,

Howard
howard.hurst at unitedadvertising.co.uk
United Advertising Publications Plc. Poole BH15 1LL, UK
http://www.unitedadvertising.co.uk
IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of United Business Media.
material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication and
notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.