[SunHELP] problems w/ nis

tim miller timjmill at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 09:32:19 CDT 2002

i've been having problems getting nis to work on a sun
blade 100. the rest of my network is irix. we had nis
logins working, but had to manually copy all user's
data into the passwd file. i'm trying to get nis
logins working w/o that kludge. it successfully binds
to the correct nis server, but when you try to login
with a valid user id and passwd, it responds "invalid
shell" and will not let you log in. when logged in as
root and "su username" with a valid username, it says
"su: No shell." any ideas? i've checked all files and
as far as i can tell all the settings are correct.
like i said, ypwhich returns the correct nis server,
and "ypmatch username passwd" gives me the user's info
from the server's passwd file. any ideas? thanks for
your time.
tim miller
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com