[SunHELP] does anyone how to make the netscape preference globally on Solaris?

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Thu May 23 12:13:59 CDT 2002

It depends on what you are talking about. If you just want a global proxy
setting, simply post a file on a webserver that is a proxy config.

http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

If you want to globally change Any or ALL of the user setting, it gets a bit
more complicated. All preferences are stored in a javascript file called
prefs.js. If you have centralized home directories, you could simply write a
script that edits everyones prefs file.

More complex customizations of the actual browser are possible through the
client customization kit found here:

http://wp.netscape.com/bisdev/distribution/customize.html

This also lets you SET certain preferences that will override the prefs.js
or allow default prefs to BE overwritten.

It's been a few years since I've messed around with the stuff. Better info
can be found at

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/index.html?content=browser.html

>From: william.x.ng at verizon.com
>To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [SunHELP] does anyone how to make the netscape preference globally
>on Solaris?
>Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:27:31 -0400
>
>All,
>My netscape program is served to 100 users on Solaris box. I would like to
>make the netscape preference (like the proxy setting) globally, so if I
>want to change the proxy setting, I can only modify one place. Does anyone
>how to do and what is the procedure??
>
>Thanks
>Will

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator
"When people sigh 'Life is hard', I am always tempted to
ask 'compared to what?'".
               - Sydney Harris