[SunHELP] SunPCI questions

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Tue May 21 12:29:02 CDT 2002

Hello all,

Having struck out at Sunsolve and elsewhere, I thought I'd try these questions
here.

First:
I have the first model of SunPCi (300mhz K6) in my sun Blade 100. I'm
using version 1.3 of the software to run Win98SE. On startup I get this
error:

The Prom is protected. This can only be unprotected in a prom programmer
The sunpci startup script is unable to obtain the BIOS version
Your SunPCi card may not operate correctly.

Please check for software updates at:
http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/sunpci

Opening a SunPCi window...

And then it starts up, with no errors other than it won't keep the bios
settings. I have changed the battery as well.

Anyone know the appropriate magic to fix this?

Second:
I can see from the Install Guide that the SunPCi software version 2.3 doesn't
support my old 300mhz. SunPCi board. But does anyone know if 2.2 or 2.3 will
work with it? I'd like to be able to use something larger than a 2 gb emulated
drive and the only (sane) way it to do that is with the newer software.

Thanks,

William
--
You better watch out    What you wish for;
It better be worth it   So much to die for.