[SunHELP] Multipath or NIC issue on Solaris 8?

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Fri Jul 19 12:10:17 CDT 2002

Hi all:

I'm running an E3500, Solaris 8 with 2 nics, IP multipathing has been set up
and has run fine for months.
Until yesterday that is. We had a big software crash that left the machine in
a funky state. I tried
boucing various services (IP connectivity was bad to non-existant) incl inetd
& sshd but in the end
was orderded to shut down the machine and restart (the boss is an ex-mainframe
guy.. we take no chances..)
Machine came back up still with lousy connectivity.
I traced it down to either the nic or the multipath setup I think:
When I pull out the primary ethernet cable to fail over the IP, things get
better but are still bad. I can connect
to things from the machine and can connect to teh machine from hosts but it is
spotty, slow, and when I initiate
a connection it does not appear to come from the correct IP address (which to
me is the failover IP)

When I pull out the secondary ethernet cable, things get much better. I can
connect in and out pretty normally.

Netstat -k <if> does not show errors.  is there another way to do nic
diagnostics?  Is there a file to check in the
multipath setup perhaps? I am reading up on it but am not sure where to start
poking around..

Any insights would be very helpful. Thanks!

Joe

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com