[SunHELP] command line ftp via iplanet web proxy server.

Ajit P. Datey adatey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 13:33:41 CDT 2002

Hi! I have installed IPlanet WEB proxy version 3.6 on a Solaris 7 box.

There is a Solaris 8 box to which users log on. If they connect to the Solaris
8 box using xwindows then they are able to use Netscape browser to ftp (using
ftp://....) via the proxy server. The problem occurs when somebody uses ftp at
the command line. We get a connect message but nothing after that.

Basically what I am trying is
ftp <proxy server> <proxy port>

This connects but does not ask me for a username.

I traced it to the fact that the proxy server is expecting URL based
connections and I am not being able to bypass this.

Does anybody know a way wherein I can use command line ftp to work through the
iplanet proxy server.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Ajit