[SunHELP] Difference in "time to prompt" for root vs. any other user with O penSSH on Sol 8 2/02

Wyatt Draggoo wyatt at draggoo.com
Wed Jul 17 12:47:39 CDT 2002

Is it the ``sleep 30'' line in the users' .login files? :)

Actually, the .login and .profile (or .cshrc) family of files is where I'd
start checking, to include /etc/profile, and the /etc/skel/* files.  If the
users are using a Bourne Shell variant, add ``set -x'' to those files to
see if ssh is hanging on a process that's being started by the user at
login.  I'm sure there's a csh equivalant to that as well, although I can't
think of it at the moment.

Wyatt

> I have a Sun Fire V100 with OpenSSH 3.4p1 installed on it. When I connect
as
> root, I get a prompt almost instantly, but if I log in as a regular user
--
> any of them -- it takes nearly thirty seconds (though the logon banner
> prints immediately, and only an functioning prompt lags behind).
>    I experience this when logging in from PC's or Suns (so it's not a
client
> platform thing), and from systems with static and DHCP-assigned IP
addresses
> (so it's not DNS lookup-related). This happened under 3.1p1 and still with
> 3.4p1.
>    I edited the file '/etc/ssh/ssh_prng_cmds' as suggested at
> http://bucc.buu.ac.th/~jim/sysadmin/openssh.html but there was no
> improvement (so I don't think it's entropy-related: that is, the SSH
> connection is up, but the shell is slow to launch).
>    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
> -wde
> --
> Will Enestvedt
> UNIX System Administrator
> Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI

Wyatt Draggoo