[SunHELP] need help on calculating throughput in a upgraded environment

JANAKIRAMAN KRISHNAMOORTHY kjanakir at in.ibm.com
Thu Jul 4 22:58:53 CDT 2002

Hi All,

This is regarding the SUN E6500 server upgradation for our web based
application
We have some query and require your help.

We are going to upgrade the SUN E6500 server from

8 nos of  336 Mhz cpus to  22 nos of 464 Mhz cpus  as recommended by SUN
and
8 GB or RAM  to  40 GB of RAM   as recommended by SUN

Also we are going to discard all our SSA112 and SSA114 arrays and replace
everyhting
with 6 numbers of A5200 array each having 7 nos of 36.4 GB harddisks

Now I would like to know that by increasing the cpus to 22 nos of 464 Mhz
and connecting
6 nos of A5200 arrays what will be the throughput??

Will there be any i/o bottlenecks or excessive i/o queueing.

How we calculate the throughput  in the upgraded environment .....

Can you help us in giving some feedback....

In our present configuration we ran some sar commands for about 4 hours
giving a load
of 25000 transactions and we calculated the throughput as in the file
enclosed below...

Is this right ?? and how do now calculate keeping the upgraded
configuration in mind.

(See attached file: analysis.doc.doc)(See attached file: sard.xls)(See
attached file: saru.xls)

 Thanks and Regards
  K.JANAKIRAMAN

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of analysis.doc.doc]

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/X-MS-Excel which had a name of sard.xls]

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/X-MS-Excel which had a name of saru.xls]