[SunHELP] Re: Server/Workstation

Will Yardley william+sun at hq.newdream.net
Wed Feb 20 19:03:24 CST 2002

victor kiyan wrote:

> I'm new in the business of UNIX with lots of questions, recently
> bought a SPARCstation 5 with Solaris 8, what do I need to do if I want
> to logon from outside (from work for instance)using a regular PC?

i highly recommend using openssh and not telnet or some other insecure
protocol. there are openssh packages at the sun freeware site, or you
can compile and install it yourself....

this link may also be of help:
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0701/openSSH.pdf

once you've installed it, you can use an ssh client (see
http://freessh.org for some free clients; i recommend putty for windows
and the macssh.com one for mac) to connect from anywhere.

if your box is on a link that's remotely accessible, i'd highly suggest
locking down or shutting off most remotely available services (ie ftp,
telnet, rlogin, named, rpc... pretty much everything in inetd).... and
possibly replacing sendmail with postfix.

the default configuration for solaris is very insecure, so make sure you
install the most recent patch cluster, and disable stuff you don't need.

HTH.

--
William Yardley
GnuPG public key: http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc