[SunHELP] Copying data from one server to another

Leslie V Brigance brigance at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 20 14:16:23 CST 2002

ON Solaris

I would create the filesystem on the new machine and then use NFS
to only the box you need to copy it to.

Obviously both machines have to be able to do an nslookup on each other,
see each other on the network, etc.etc.

Mount /FS from the FROM machine on the TO machine and use tar to pull the
data over.

On OLD box put in dfstab:           (make copy of dfstab 1st of course)

share  -F nfs -o ro=NEWBOX -d "Description"  /FS

where, of course /FS is the name of the exported filesystem.

Run dfstab as a script and stop and start NFS server
or start it for the first time if not running.

On NEWBOX put in vfstab:      (make copy of vfstab 1st of course)

OLDbox:/FS        -       /FS nfs     -       yes     rw,intr,nosuid

create mount point

# mkdir /FS
# chmod 777 /FS

(make sure that the "To" machine is running NFS as client)

# mount   /FS

run a df -k to be sure that your mount shows. It should look something
like:

      OLDBOX:/FS     7973946 5953483 1223073    83%    /newFS

mount your new filesystem on TO machine (the one you want to copy to)

# mount  /newFS

change into the exported filesystem

# cd /FS

# cp -R ./*  /newFS

OR if you want the whole filesystem

# tar -cvf - . | (cd /newFS; tar -xvf - )

and that should copy everything from one box to the other.

Obviously this is off the top of my head & you need to do a little practice
but if you export the filesystem from the old box as ro (read  only), you
can't
hurt anything on the oldbox's filesystem from the new box while doing your
tests.
You can still destroy things of course if you inadvertently do something to
the filesystem
from the oldbox . You are going to get links, etc which you may or may not
want.

You might also want to wait for the critiques to follow this for
corrections to my feeble memory.
Some of the people on this list will help us out by pointing out
something(s) that I missed.

HTH

Les

<snip>

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I'm sure someone can answer.

I have a large filesystem (~20 - 25 gig) that I need to copy to another
server. What is the best way to get the data from one server to another?
Normally, I would just tar the directory up and ftp it to the necessary
server, but unfortunately, I don't have the space to do that. I don't have
any tape drives available for this exercise either, so I can't dump it to a
tape and restore it.

I'm sort of new to Unix, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Matthew
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org