[SunHELP] need help with SSH - Solaris 8

Rob Bains rbains at ieee.org
Thu Feb 14 23:38:23 CST 2002

I tried the same thing that you suggested. Unfortunately, it somes up with
same errors. Here's what comes up:

# /etc/init.d/prngd start
PRNGD entropy-gathering daemon started
# ps -ef | grep prng
    root  5760  5484  1 21:55:51 pts/9    0:00 grep prng
    root  5744     1  2 21:55:45 ?        0:00 /usr/local/sbin/prngd
/var/spool/
prngd/pool/prngd-socket

# /usr/local/sbin/sshd
Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/var/spool/prngd/pool": Socket operation
on no
n-socket
Entropy collection failed and entropy exhausted

I also created the /var/spool/prngd/pool directory.  Here's in it:

# pwd
/var/spool/prngd/pool
# ls -la
total 4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Feb 14 21:59 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     other        512 Feb 14 20:50 ..
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          0 Feb 14 21:55 prngd-socket

What else could be going on here? I've also heard from other people that it
is supposedly quite simple to install. I must be missing something quite
obvious.

Thanks for your help.