[SunHELP] NetBooting Questions

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Feb 8 13:29:03 CST 2002

In Message: 2 on Fri,  8 Feb 2002 09:45:09 -0500 didst "robert_brooke
gravitt" <brooke at gravitt.org> declaim ...

> I'm tryint to NetBoot a set of Macs off of Mac OS X. The NetBoot server
> only supports 1 image, but I need a seperate image for a few specific
> machines. I'm not going to buy another server just to NetBoot these
> guys, so I'll be using Linux (bootp, tftpd, NetATalk, > etc.) to boot
them.

> OK: The real question. What's the most basic Sun box i should try and
> use? It really only needs to handle the bandwidth of NetBooting 1 box
> at a time, on a very seldom basis- the Macs won't be restarted often.
>
> So i don't need much horsepower, just a box that can server the boot
image.

> Can i drop down into the Sun4 hardware? A sparc 5 or 20 do it, or
> should I go Ultra 1 or 5?
>
> Also, anyone know if I can do this w/o Linux, and use Solaris?

I'm netbooting various X-terms off of an LX using Solaris 7 ... The LX also
handles the DHCP for them as well as DNS and a bunch of other things.  Since
we're running 10Base[T|2] networking, the LX is plenty.

-Shel