[SunHELP] NetBooting Questions

robert_brooke gravitt brooke at gravitt.org
Fri Feb 8 08:45:09 CST 2002

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, so I'll start from the top.

I'm tryint to NetBoot a set of Macs off of Mac OS X. The NetBoot server only supports 1 image, but I need a seperate image for a few specific machines. I'm not going to buy another server just to NetBoot these guys, so I'll be using Linux (bootp, tftpd, NetATalk, etc.) to boot them.

OK: The real question. What's the most basic Sun box i should try and
use? It really only needs to handle the bandwidth of NetBooting 1 box at a time, on a very seldom basis- the Macs won't be restarted often.

So i don't need much horsepower, just a box that can server the boot image.

Can i drop down into the Sun4 hardware? A sparc 5 or 20 do it, or should I go Ultra 1 or 5?

Also, anyone know if I can do this w/o Linux, and use Solaris?

Thanks!

Brooke